The Pack 14 Pinewood Derby will take place on Saturday, February 22nd from 2:00-4:00 p.m. in the Barton Hills Elementary School Gymnasium.
Car Construction Rules:
All cars must meet the below requirements at check-in inspection to qualify for the race. If a car does not pass the initial inspection, time will be given within the official weigh-in period to make adjustments. After final approval, cars will not be reinspected unless the car is damaged in handling or in a race.
- Width shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
- Length shall not exceed 7 inches.
- Weight shall not exceed 5 ounces or 141.8 grams. Cars will be weighed in grams at registration.
- Axles, wheels, and body shall be from the materials provided in the kit.
- Official BSA wheels and axles are available for additional purchase at the scout shop or on-line and will be allowed. The wheels may only be lightly sanded to smooth out molding imperfections in the tread area. Beveling, tapering, thin sanding, wafering, or lathe turning of the wheels is prohibited.
- Wheel bearings, washers, and bushings are prohibited.
- No lubricating oil may be used. Axles may be lubricated with powdered graphite or silicone.
- The car shall not ride on any kind of spring.
- The car must be free-wheeling, with no starting devices.
- No loose materials of any kind are allowed in the car.
Name your car. You will be asked at check-in to supply a name for your car.
Check-in your car. Check-in will occur Friday, February 21st between 3:15-5:45 p.m. in the Barton Hills Gymnasium. Participants do not need to be present to check-in a car, but all race entries must be received by the end of check-in Friday. Cars will remain in the gymnasium overnight. NO CARS WILL BE REGISTERED THE DAY OF THE RACE.
Trophies will be awarded for the top 5 fastest overall cars.
Ribbons will be awarded for a variety of categories, including:
First Place in each den
Fastest overall den
Most Cub Scout Pride
Best Use of LEGOS
Cleverest Car Name
Best Paint Job
Most Creative Use of Weights
Note: Categories may be added at the Committee’s discretion the day of the race.
Siblings who are not cub scouts are invited to participate as well. A separate sibling race will occur with an award for the overall fastest sibling car.